My acquaintance with the hospitality industry commenced in 2007 when I began working for a CVB. There, I learned of the intricacies of destination, hotel, restaurant and venue marketing.
In February 2011, I began as the Digital Communications Manager for HyperDisk Marketing, where I manage social media accounts for numerous hospitality clients; write copy for their websites; optimize content for SEO; manage several client blogs; and oversee larger corporate communications initiatives.
I am also the Social Media Manager for Search Engine Journal and Content Editor for Maximize Social Business. I also work with a variety of clients on social media (management, strategy), copywriting, blogging, SEO, and other projects.
I am a graduate of the University of California, Irvine and, enhanced by my degree in English, have an oddly-persistent knack for copywriting, editing and (over) analyzing. I am also now an instructor of Social Media Strategy at UC Irvine Extension.
I was thrilled to be included in The Huffington Post‘s “Passionistas” article. As part of the Twitter PowerHouse series, it highlighted women who’ve displayed passion via the social web.
I enjoy reading blogs and articles myself, and am constantly learning and gaining new nuggets of information. I think the sharing of knowledge is pivotal to personal and professional growth, collaboration, and critical thinking.
And, I love to write, so I wanted to create a space that would allow me to do that. Since my background is primarily in hospitality, I thought sharing insight related to social media and the hospitality industry could be a useful resource for others.
Additionally, to highlight local dining news and share about experiences and events, I have a more casual, local blog called Drink Play Grub. I’m also a monthly columnist at Maximize Social Business as well as Search Engine Journal.
I have contributed articles on social marketing to Forbes; one on what small businesses can learn from the hospitality industry for New Media Expo; and one on visual platforms for the hospitality industry to TRO Smith.
I’ve been quoted in various articles such as Maximize Social Business’ post on the value of Google+; Business2Community’s write up about social engagement beyond regular metrics; Nightclub & Bar’s recent commentaries on visual platforms; as well as a recent USA Today article on Instagram and Pinterest for Hotels.
I’m also a thought leader for Chic CEO, a resource for women entrepreneurs, and am an Orange County travel correspondent for Forbes Travel Guide. I also had columns in OC Metro on hospitality news in OC, along with one on restaurant news in for OC Menus.
I am so fortunate to be able to make a living working in a space I genuinely enjoy. I’m also active in numerous social, business, volunteering, and networking groups in Orange County. I’m a member of ToastMasters International, the Irvine Chamber of Commerce, and a “Big Sis” with Big Brothers Big Sisters of OC.
Feel free to connect on my personal accounts as well:
- Foodservice Social Media Universe, September 2011 [Leveraging Facebook For Your Brand]
- ASEI SoCal, September 2011 [Innovative Social Marketing - Practical Applications]
- OC Public Relations Society, October 2011 [Writing for Social Media & Search]
- Orange County Social Media Summit, May 2012 [Best Blogging Practices]
- Chapman University Argyros School of Business and Economics, February 2013 [Content Marketing Best Practices]
- FemFessionals Orange County, March 2013 [Mastering Social Media]
- UC Irvine Career Center/Alumni Association/Extension, October 2013 [Social Media Branding]
- UC Irvine Extension, February-March 2014 [ACP Program Course - Developing a Social Media Strategy]
- Costa Mesa Chamber of Commerce, March 2014 [Social Media Trends in 2014]
- Nightclub & Bar Convention, March 2014 [Working with Visual Platforms]